Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Music break

I've just about reached my limits with the current political shitshow (has it reached fever pitch yet? If not, do I want to be there when it does?); what else is there to say that I haven't already covered in the last month?  (And is there anyone on the planet who's come close to generating the philosophically-relevant commentary produced in this blog in the past month?  And if so, how would that have escaped my attention?  Where on the scale of plausibility do I rank "This blog has far surpassed any other commentary outlet in the last month?"  Up there with #2 in the plausibility-ordered list in the previous post, I guess?  If there's any content in existence approximating rough-draft material for a Better Living Through Philosophy e/book for the ages, aren't all the essentials right there in the posts and (gobs of) links?)

(From here onward does it turn into sardonic comment on the passing shitshow?  Is that what it is going to have to take to really drive the message home?  Sigh.  And what if I don't really do sardonic, or do it well?)

(And should I just go ahead and post that item titled "Schmilosophy" that's been sitting in my draft queue for X number of months now?  Only I know what's in there.... ^_^ )

Ideally, I go into supercharged research mode and spend the next X number of weeks/months reading through Oxford Handbooks and whatnot without spending further time repeating the obvious about the political shitshow and its no-brainer solution.  Philosophy proper (metaphysics, aesthetics, ... ?) is where I really want to go full-time ASAFP.

My other passion, along with philosophy, is music.  My top five favorite music composers/writers are Jean Sibelius, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Dmitri Shostakovich, Robert Wyatt, and Frank Zappa.  My single favorite Zappa composition is probably "Big Swifty" (1972).  But going through my head a ton lately are his shorter works, "Sofa No. 1" and "Sofa No. 2" (1975).  Listening to these short pieces is best when one can hear the bass as loudly as one can take it (headphones or large speakers, it don't matter).



Ich bin der chrome dinette?

Bonus: